JellyPages.com

Friday, March 22, 2013

Never Stop Learning

   When I came to Orlando for the Disney College Program, I figured it would end up being like my summer. Normally in the summer, if I don't take class, I hardly ever think about school or what I'd learned the previous semester; my brain gets a few months break. However, this has not been the case, and I've found that I absolutely love that! My roommates know I'm a nursing student so they ask me basic questions when they don't feel well or are looking for a certain medicine, and I can (hopefully) help them in some capacity (though I by no means encourage them to ignore talking to an actual doctor or nurse!). Being able to use that knowledge is exciting, yes, but the real pride and excitement for my learning came from helping a family at work last week.
   It was toward the end of the night, and Casey's was less than busy, but we still had 3 registers open and I was filler for one of them. I noticed one of my coworkers at the closed register trying to help this family, but it looked as though she was having a difficult time. I went over to see if she needed me to find someone or if I could help, and realized the family she was trying to assist was deaf. I took ASL last semester at Nazareth and LOVED it! I don't by any stretch of the imagination consider myself excellent at it, but I felt I knew enough to at least try to communicate with this family. So, I quickly told the girl on the register I was filler for what was going on and that I would be right back; opened the register that was closed; and, using sign language, took their order completely and successfully! I was so proud of myself and incredibly happy that I could assist those guests. I didn't need to remember how to sign too much, but I did get to use some of the vocabulary I have taught myself while down here using my book from school and an app my professor at Naz recommended. Of course, I emailed my professor as soon as I had the chance to tell her about my experience.
   I am also hoping to take the language test within the next week or so to receive a new name tag that says I am able to assist any deaf or hard of hearing guests that may come into Casey's and need to sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment