JellyPages.com

Friday, March 15, 2013

Let's Go Buffalo!

    I think one of my favorite things about working in Disney World is getting to see guests from around the country and around the world; but, at the same time, I'm reminded every day that it really is "a small world after all!"
    Whenever I see a guest (whether I am working or playing in the parks) wearing any sort of Buffalo gear or reference to Buffalo, I get so excited and, being my father's daughter, immediately ask them if they are in fact from Buffalo. A family that came into the restaurant one night was wearing Sabres and Bills garb; when I asked if they were from Buffalo they replied "no, Rochester." Well, that was just as wonderful since school for me is in Rochester. Another couple that came into Casey's a few weeks ago wearing Bills gear chatted with me for a good 5 minutes in line before remembering they needed to order; turned out, the wife is a nurse at Children's Hospital in Buffalo! That same night, on the bus ride back to the parking lot, I met a woman from Attica (suburb east of Buffalo) who works at Be Our Guest Restaurant....she was the nicest person (but that's not surprising since she's a Buffalonian)! I have not yet gotten a chance to visit her at her work, but I plan to soon. On the bus, we got talking about all the great things about home and how we missed it; she's been living in Florida for the past few years but refuses to put anyplace but Buffalo, NY on her name tag....that's our city pride!
    One story goes kind of the opposite direction: I was taking an order when the woman looks at me and asks if I'm from the Buffalo area. Strange, but maybe she knows Nazareth College? When I say yes, she asks if I used to live in Williamsville (another suburb of Buffalo)....I tell her no, but pretty close and I went to grammar school there to which she immediately says, Saints Peter and Paul! Oh my gosh. Where is this going? Who is this woman? Turns out she was the sister of my 2nd grade teacher! Again, we had a nice little chat about home and how the weather is much nicer here :)
    All the little reminders of home that sneak their way into every day are nice and help lessen how much a miss it by a smidgen, but nothing can compare to actually being there. 8 more weeks and I'll be home (probably be wishing I was in Disney, but not too much!) Also, I complied a list of all the things I miss from home.....if I forgot anything feel free to let me know or just add your own in the comment section!
1. Tim Horton's
2. friendly people everywhere
3. Anderson's
4. the use of directionals when driving
5. not hearing people complain when it's 50* in March
6. sponge candy
7. Sahlen's hot dogs/ham
8. Ted's hot dogs (okay, so they're technically still Sahlen's but they taste even better from Ted's)
9. the smell of Cheerios downtown
10. knowing at least one person when I go to the grocery store
11. Friday fish fry (and not just during Lent)
12. HOCKEY.
13. Wegmans/Tops/Dash's
14. my family, friends, and dogs
15. Paula's Donuts
16. my backyard
17. Kan Jam
18. GOOD chicken wings

No comments:

Post a Comment