JellyPages.com

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Disney Princess Half Marathon

    Wow. It's been about 2 weeks since I last posted, so there's quite a bit to update! I'll start with today, though, and jump around to other past days.
    This morning, I had to be at work at 4....yes, 4 AM. When I first saw that on my schedule, I was not very happy; however, once I realized it was the day of the Princess 1/2 Marathon, everything changed! Since the race goes through the Magic Kingdom, Casey's Corner was open for spectators to get food and drinks (we were NOT serving hot dogs lol); we also had a stand set up at the beginning of Main Street near the main gates to the park, which I got to be at! My friend, Ashleigh, and I were the two picked to work the stand, and we had a blast! Watched the sky get lighter (it was very foggy this morning so we didn't get a sunrise) over the train station, served many excited families coffee and hot chocolate, watched the runners come through and race down Main Street, and saw many interesting costumes on both the runners and their fans. I even had a "magical moment" during my shift outside: a man, probably in his late 20s or early 30s, came up to us at the stand to buy coffee and asked, in a very enthusiastic voice, how we were doing; we replied "great! and you?", to which he said "fantastic! I just got engaged in front of the castle!" His girlfriend was in the race and he found her as she came through the castle, proposed, took a few pictures, and sent her back on her way.....I'll bet that gave her the adrenaline rush to finish the last 7 miles! Because it was a female focused race (though we did see a few guys running), there were a lot of proud husbands and boyfriends with custom T-shirts; my favorite was probably one that said "my princess is faster than your princess".
    After the race was finished coming through the MK, Ashleigh and I went back to Casey's, had our break, then went back to work. Because the park opened at 9:00am and we had already been open, Casey's just stayed opened....but who wants a hot dog at 9:30? Needless to say, we were quite dead until I clocked out at 11:00am (right when we normally open). All in all, I must say I had a wonderful day at work despite having to be there at 4:00am! PS: Watching all the women run by inspired me, and I am planning on running the race next year (join me if you want)!! I'd better start training now :)
    Having finished work so early this morning, Ashleigh and I pretty much had the day off, so we decided to go to Epcot for a while in the afternoon with a couple of her roommates. I visited Claire at her work (she was on break so, unfortunately I didn't see her in action), got stuck for almost 10 minutes in Spaceship Earth, rode Mission Space and a few other rides and saw some of the countries in World Showcase, and strolled through a few shops. As we were walking through the park, I saw a family coming toward us wearing Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills tees; I happened to be wearing one of my Sabres shirts today as well, so as they came toward us I held my shirt out and said "Go Sabres!" right as one of the girls in that family said "Yeah Buffalo!" It made me smile to have a little bit of home for even that brief moment...I don't know who that family was, but they made my afternoon!

Our "briefing" video at Mission Space

 Entrance to Mission Space

Epcot Ball behind the fountain

Canada

England

World Showcase Comedy Show


    Well, it's been a long few days of work and I need sleep! So that's all for tonight, but I'll update a little more tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment